CANCELED: 2020 Northern Nevada Diversity Summit
This event has been canceled. Registrants will be notified directly.
HOW FREE IS YOUR SPEECH?
At a time in which hateful and incendiary speech has infiltrated most universities and public settings, impacted communities have begun to question the extension and the interpretation that ought to be given to Freedom of Expression. This should not mean a deterioration of constitutionally-protected, free-speech principles, but the need for more complex understandings of the current and arising challenges. Further, given that the legal protection of speech is not a neutral construct but one that has historically had racial/ethnic, sexuality, class, religious, political ideology and other dimensions, what it is really at stake is equality and access to participation in freedom of expression. The goals of the Summit are to examine these tensions; propose potential changes and solutions; and, create a space for students, educators and community members to share resources, programs, and research related to these topics.
Areas of discussion include:
- Free Speech, Academic Freedom and Individual and Group Safety
- Free Speech, Education and Public Interference
- Microaggressions and Ideological Tensions in the Classroom or Workplace
- White Nationalism and Hate and Bias Response Teams
- Free Speech and Litigation
- Hate Speech and Bystander Intervention
Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 8:00 am to 9:00 pm
Joe Crowley Student Union