Fall 2018 Grow Your Own, Nevada!
Learn the secrets of high desert gardening
Tuesdays from 6-8 p.m.
Sept. 11 – Oct. 2
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is offering eight “Grow Your Own, Nevada!” classes in spring and four classes in fall statewide to help Nevadans who want to get on a path to more sustainable, local, healthy living by growing and preserving more of their own food.
“Anyone can become a better gardener by attending these classes,” Cooperative Extension Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch said. “From the beginner to the advanced gardener, everyone can benefit from a Grow Your Own, Nevada! class.”
The workshops will provide gardeners and those interested in growing healthy foods with a “back-to-the-basics” guide to great harvests in Nevada.
Fall Program Class Topics:
- Sept. 11: Saving Seeds from Your Garden by Heidi Kratsch
- Sept. 18: Amending Your Soil: Composting and Fertilizer Basics by Melody Hefner
- Sept. 25: Cover Crops for the Home Gardener by Heidi Kratsch
- Oct. 2: Tips on Selecting Fruit Tree and Berry Varieties by Wendy Hanson Mazet
Fall Program Locations:
Classes are held live in Reno and via interactive video to Cooperative Extension offices statewide.
- ^Battle Mountain: 815 N. 2nd St., 775-635-5565
- *Caliente: 360 Lincoln St., 775-726-3109
- ^Elko: 701 Walnut St., 775-738-7291
- ^Ely: 950 Campton St., 775-293-6599
- ^Eureka: 701 S. Main St., 775-237-5326
- *Fallon: 111 Sheckler Rd., 775-423-5121
- *Hawthorne: 314 5th St., 775-945-3444
- *Logandale: 1897 N. Moapa Valley Blvd., 702-397-2604
- *Lovelock: 810 6th St., 775-273-2923
- *Reno: 4955 Energy Way, 775-784-4848
- *Winnemucca: 1085 Fairgrounds Rd., 775-623-6304
- *Yerington: 504 S. Main Street, 775-463-6541
*Site confirmed. ^Site requested.
Fall Program Registration:
In Reno, the registration cost is $15 per class or $30 for all four classes, and participants can register online by clicking the button below.
Reduced registration is available for Washoe County K-12 teachers and Washoe County Master Gardener Volunteers attending in Reno. Teachers: email a copy of your school ID to Jenn Fisher at email@example.com to receive your promotional code.
Master Gardeners: see the home page news section of the volunteer management system to receive your promotional code.
To participate in the program at another location, contact that site directly.
Photo by Master Gardener Liz Morrow.
Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 6:00pm to 8:00pm
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension 4955 Energy Way