Grow Your Own, Nevada!
Learn the secrets of high desert gardening
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension is offering eight “Grow Your Own, Nevada!” classes in spring and four classes in fall statewide to help Nevadans who want to get on a path to more sustainable, local, healthy living by growing and preserving more of their own food.
“Anyone can become a better gardener by attending these classes,” Cooperative Extension Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch said. “From the beginner to the advanced gardener, everyone can benefit from a Grow Your Own, Nevada! class.”
The workshops will provide gardeners and those interested in growing healthy foods with a “back-to-the-basics” guide to great harvests in Nevada.
Spring 2019 Program Class Topics:
- April 2: Edible Landscaping, Wendy Hanson Mazet
- April 4: Nevada Soils, Melody Hefner
- April 9: Season Extension: Simple to Complex (including costs), Wendy Hanson Mazet
- April 11: Vermicomposting and Hot Composting, Jenn Fisher and Melody Hefner
- April 16: Fruit Tree Pruning, Wendy Hanson Mazet
- April 18: Nuisance Weeds in the Vegetable Garden, Melody Hefner
- April 23: Growing Grapes in Nevada, Heidi Kratsch
- April 25: Nevada’s Bugs, Kevin Burls
Spring 2019 Program Locations (TBD):
Classes are held live in Reno and via interactive video to Cooperative Extension offices statewide.
- Battle Mountain: 815 N. 2nd St., 775-635-5565
- Carson: 2621 Northgate Ln # 12, 775-887-2252
- Caliente: 360 Lincoln St., 775-726-3109
- Elko: 701 Walnut St., 775-738-7291
- Ely: 950 Campton St., 775-293-6599
- Eureka: 701 S. Main St., 775-237-5326
- Fallon: 111 Sheckler Rd., 775-423-5121
- Hawthorne: 314 5th St., 775-945-3444
- Logandale: 1897 N. Moapa Valley Blvd., 702-397-2604
- Lovelock: 810 6th St., 775-273-2923
- *Reno: 4955 Energy Way, 775-784-4848
- Winnemucca: 1085 Fairgrounds Rd., 775-623-6304
- Yerington: 504 S. Main Street, 775-463-6541
*Site confirmed. ^Site requested.
Spring 2019 Program Fees:
For Reno participants, individual classes are $15.00 each or $80.00 to take all 8 classes. When you register to take them all, you also get a flashdrive with additional information and a tote bag. For all other sites, please contact the office for registration details.
Grow Your Own, Nevada! Program Contact:
Persons in need of special accommodations or assistance must call or notify Jenn Fisher at 775-336-0249 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least three days prior to the scheduled class.
Thursday, April 25 at 6:00pm to 8:00pm
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension 4955 Energy Way